Hibernian 0, Motherwell 2

Match Date: Saturday, September 13 2003
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 8,387
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Corrigan, Craigan, Partridge, Hammell, Lasley, Adams, Leitch (Dair 81), Pearson, Clarkson, Burns (Craig 89). Subs not used: Corr, Quinn, Wright.

Motherwell scorer: Clarkson (44, 75).

Yellow Card: Craigan.


Hibernian  0     Motherwell  2 

A FANTASTIC ALL-ROUND TEAM PERFORMANCE Had Motherwell fans in joyous mood at the end of the match. David Clarkson helped himself to a neat double and in truth such was the dominance of the Fir Parkers Hibs were lucky to get nothing. 

Pre-match talk was of how Motherwell would adapt to the loss of James McFadden to Everton and throughout the 90 minutes the Fir Parkers coped admirably. Right from the off the Motherwell players were keen to show their true selves. A Pearson/Hammel combination almost caught out the home defence with Andersson in goal just there to deny Clarkson. The home response was a turn and shot from Brown which brought a comfortable save from Marshall. From the kick out Clarkson made his way to the edge of the box but the header from Adams was hooked away by Murdock. Andersson's opposite number raced from goal to gather a Murray chip into the box before O'Connor could take advantage. Stevie Craigan was unlucky to be booked as what looked like a dive by Riordan convinced Referee Clark to show yellow and award a free kick. Brebner forced a good block from Marshall with Partridge on hand to knock the ball away. O'Connor picked up play and crossing to the six-yard box Martyn Corrigan was there to sweep away as Zambernardi hovered. Motherwell were visibly growing in confidence with Hammel finding Clarkson though Zambernardi denied his efforts. O'Connor of Hibs was next to try his luck and he fired a shot from 18 yards wide of the target.  However, Motherwell came closest when Burns was set up thanks to great work by Clarkson only to find Andersson equal to the effort. Hammel whipped in the ball but it bounced through the 6-yard box unchallenged. Clarkson himself then raced towards the box but as he was about to pull the trigger Murdock made a vital challenge.  

Young Clarkson was then the victim of a late Brebner tackle which, given Craigan's earlier booking, should have carried a yellow card also. A free kick was all the Referee awarded, though Hammel's shot forced a great tip round from Andersson. The corner fell to Craigan but again the Hibs goalkeeper was there to save the ball. From the quick kick Brown raced away but his curling shot was wide. The home fans then yelled for a penalty when O'Connor dramatically fell in the box under no pressure claiming a tug on his jersey from Hammel but Referee Clark was completely uninterested. Motherwell were looking more dangerous and Keith Lasley perhaps could have done better when he found himself one-on-one with Andersson only to see the keeper block. Clarkson then pounced on a loose ball but was felled by another late Murdock effort. Hammel curled the ball in only for Zambernardi to desperately hook away. The Hibs response was a volley from Brown which went past after O'Connor's pass. It was agony for the Motherwell fans when only the width of the post denied them soon after. A slack Murdock pass-back saw Burns nip in to beat Andersson but his looping shot smacked the post and was cleared. And the Fir Parkers kept up the pressure when Pearson forced Zambernardi to knock the ball behind. Although cleared Murdock was guilty of another foul on Clarkson. Some good play involving Leitch and Hammel saw Burns lay off the ball for Adams but a weak shot allowed Andersson to save. Zambernardi then was left with no option but to once again concede a corner. Although cleared Adams hooked a cross back in which fell just inches past the unmarked Craigan. There were then two late tackles, firstly by Zambernardi on Leitch and then Brebner on Clarkson both of which Referee Clark somehow deemed fair. As halftime approached it was looking as if Motherwell's' efforts would go unrewarded but they got the break through they deserved. Keith Lasley headed a cross off the far post which fell invitingly for David Clarkson to ram home ahead of Murray and Andersson. 

Half-Time     Hibernian  0     Motherwell  1 

The second-half began with a high-footed challenge by Doumbe on Clarkson but a free kick was Clark's only award. Brown then found O'Connor who looked set to test Marshall until a superb well-timed tackle from Craigan stopped him in his tracks. Motherwell responded and gained a free kick when Murdock was guilty again of fouling Clarkson. Hammel found Pearson but the cross fell too deep and was cleared. Hibs were attempting to get back into the game but it looked as if even a season ticket wouldn't gain them admission. Brown and O'Connor combined to play in Murray but Marshall was there and he received an unnecessary late challenge from the Hibs midfielder. Hibs next attack saw Riordan slam in a 25-yarder which sailed past the post. O'Connor then made the by-line but his cut back for Riordan was taken by Marshall. There was controversy when David Clarkson went clear on Andersson until Murdoch and Zambernardi combined to haul the striker down. Murdock made the challenge and really should have been sent off, however, Referee Clark chose only to yellow card the defender. Derek Adams cracked the free kick off the wall and the corner was cleared. Hibs then gained a free kick when Brebner went down under a Lasley challenge 16 yards out on the left. Marshall came to punch the ball with the follow up from Murray deflecting behind off Craigan.  

A superb ball from Pearson then sent Clarkson scurrying towards the Hibs area but he was eventually crowded out. Pearson then took it on himself to evade the Hibs defence but Andersson was there to smother the shot. Murdock, who had somehow escaped a red earlier, was even more fortunate when he sent Adams crashing to the ground. From the free kick Craigan found Pearson but the free header was wide. Although Motherwell looked the more likely Hibs couldn't be discounted and it took an excellent interception from Corrigan to deny O'Connor as he looked set to meet a Riordan ball. Hibs then took off Murdock before he was sent packing, replacing him with Whittaker. Some good Motherwell possession had the away fans cheering though it came to a somewhat disappointing end with Leitch seeing his shot held. Another home change had Riordan replaced by McManus. Motherwell kept up the pressure with Lasley denied only by a very well timed Zambernardi challenge. Gordon Marshall was relatively untroubled up the park but he had to be alert to save a shot from Murray. It could have been two to Motherwell a minute later when Hammel crossed and Clarkson, in splendid isolation, sent a header over with only Andersson to beat. A rare error in defence by Hammel then gave McManus a chance but Marshall was there to parry the ball away. And it proved crucial as Motherwell did double their advantage moments later. A quite shocking pass back from Zambernardi was pounced upon by Clarkson and he nicked the ball under Andersson and watched it creep over the line before celebrating wildly. Hibs made an immediate change, O'Connor replaced by Dobbie. And they tried to respond with a shot from Brown which was well past. They did come closer a minute afterwards when an angled shot from Glass forced a terrific save from Marshall. Motherwell's first change saw Leitch replaced by debutant Jason Dair. The ever-eager David Clarkson was still creating problems for Hibs and he combined with Pearson though Smith saw the ball out. The Easter Road side then forced a corner but Glass headed the ball well over. Motherwell were not content to sit on their two-goal advantage and went looking for more. The impressive Pearson made a lung-bursting run to the edge of the box but saw his shot well held by Andersson. Although Hibs forced a couple of corners they were easily dealt with by the Motherwell defence. Keith Lasley then was taken late by Doumbe who escaped a card though Brown was booked when he caught Partridge off the ball. Burns was replaced by Craig before the last action saw a wild shot from Dobbie go well over. 

Full Time     Hibernian  0     Motherwell  2

Match Report by Ricky Mullen