Hibernian 3, Motherwell 3

Match Date: Wednesday, March 24 2004
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 5,670
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Quinn, Corrigan, Craigan, Hammell (Dair 23), Lasley, Fagan, Adams, Burns, Scott McDonald, Clarkson (Kinniburgh 45).. 
Subs Not Used: Corr, Kevin McDonald, Wright.

Motherwell scorers: Lasley (46), Adams (60 pen), Doumbe (80 o.g.)

Booked: Corrigan, Fagan, Burns, Kinniburgh.


Hibernian  3     Motherwell  3

TWO GOALS DOWN AT THE INTERVAL, MOTHERWELL Made a superb fight of it in the second half to leave the Capital with a deserved point. After a dismal first half the Fir Parkers earned the right to a point with a gutsy showing.

Early on Referee Freeland failed to spot a push by Riordan on Corrigan but as the ball broke Craigan cleared well. The ball was hooked away as far as Andersson in the home goal but his poor clearance saw Adams unable to gather. Caldwell for the home side then tried his luck from 25 yards but saw the ball sail well over. However, a minute later some poor defending allowed an opener for Hibs. Caldwell crossed for McManus and his effort was deflected high towards Nicol who could hardly miss in an unmarked position. Motherwell tried to hit back instantly with Lasley finding Burns but his ball was gathered by Andersson inches ahead of Clarkson. A Caldwell foul on Hammel gave Motherwell a free kick but the home defender then conceded a corner. Burns beat Doumbe to the ball but was adjudged to have fouled him. There was a nasty clash involving Nicol and Hammel with the latter coming off worse. Hammel went off for treatment and as play continued Riordan found Brown inside the box but Craigan and Corrigan ushered him away. Riordan and McManus then combined only for Craigan to concede a corner which Quinn saw clear. Thomson continued the attack but saw his cross slice of Hammel to Marshall. The Fir Parkers were by no means hemmed in and should have had a free kick near the box when Murdock flattened McDonald. More quick passing from the home side had Thomson whipping the ball in low though again Craigan was on hand to deal with it. 

Doumbe and Burns then squared up and although the Hibs man appeared to push Burns in the face it was the Motherwell man warned. The Fir Parkers then had to make a change, Hammel unable to recover from his earlier knock and replaced by Jason Dair. Easter Road man Reid then almost made it through only for good work by Quinn to deny him. Dair and Fagan did well to then set up Burns but he saw his cross deflected behind. The corner, though, was far too near Andersson. What looked like a superbly timed Dair tackle was deemed a foul on Thomson by Referee Freeland, good defending by Lasley ended the danger. It was the last involvement from Thomson who was replaced by Whittaker. Teammate Doumbe again escaped punishment when he kicked out at Clarkson, the Motherwell man the one to receive a warning for talking back. Climbing by Murdock on Clarkson gave Motherwell a free kick 25 yards out. Burns struck the ball superbly but the effort was matched by Andersson who parried the ball away. A minute later Motherwell forced another corner but, unable to take advantage, they instead conceded a sloppy second goal. Failing to clear and not marking up, Riordan set up Reid somewhat inadvertently as his shot was deflected high into his path. Brown almost grabbed an immediate third though superb defending from Craigan denied him the chance. Two quite awful challenges from Hibs players could have carried reds but instead saw just one yellow card issued. Firstly Reid was very, very late and heavy on McDonald but play wasn't stopped. Then, moments later, McManus was only cautioned for a kick at Dair right in front of the linesman. Motherwell tried to get back into things, Quinn and McDonald combined to find Adams but Andersson kicked long. Riordan gathered and made the by-line but his low cross found no takers. Just prior to the interval Nicol was booked for apparent backchat whilst McManus saw a header go past.

Half Time     Hibernian  2     Motherwell  0

Motherwell made a change prior to the resumption, with Kinniburgh replacing Clarkson and several positional changes also occurring. It needed an immediate impact to get the Fir Parkers into things, and that is just what they got. Right from kick off Motherwell attacked, Keith Lasley took possession of the ball a fair distance from goals. With only one thing in mind he fought his way into the box before firing in a low shot, which took a deflection on it's way past Andersson into the net. Edge was next to be booked when he took Burns out of the play. Brown was then warned but not booked for dissent. Brown himself then sent a low cross in for Reid which sailed on past. Marshall then had to look sharp to take crosses from Riordan and then Caldwell. Just on the park was Kinniburgh and he was booked for his first challenge, a late one on Brown. Dair conceded a corner from the free kick which Murdock could only head past the far upright. Motherwell continued to battle away and got their reward with a penalty just before the hour mark. Scott McDonald burst into the box but was fouled by a combination of Murdock and Doumbe. Up stepped Derek Adams and he coolly slotted beyond Andersson to draw Motherwell level. Unfortunately the Fir Parkers were not level for long and it was a very soft penalty indeed which saw Hibs regain the lead. Nicol went down under the slightest of pressure from Craigan with Referee Freeland pointing to the spot much to the anger of the Motherwell players. It was to no avail with Riordan scoring and Burns booked for stating the obvious. A superb long ball from Lasley then looked to have sent McDonald away and clear until a poor offside decision robbed him of the chance. A foul by Whittaker on Quinn was then ignored and as the ball broke it fell to McManus but his drive was deflected over the bar for a corner. 

Twice in quick succession Doumbe piled into McDonald and only on the second occasion was a free kick awarded, Doumbe again escaping any real punishment. Caldwell knew little about his header but luckily for him Andersson gathered Martyn Corrigan was then booked for a foul on Brown. From the free kick Craigan cleared to Brown but his shot went well over. Again it was Doumbe using Scott McDonald as a climbing frame and once more Referee Freeland failed to spot the offence. With ten minutes to go Motherwell did indeed draw level. Quinn did very well indeed to find McDonald and his turn and shot deflected off Doumbe onto the bar before striking Andersson on the back of the head to land in the net and send the Motherwell fans wild. Right from kick off Motherwell regained possession and forced a corner which Murdock just managed to smack away downfield. Riordan tried to put Hibs ahead again but found Marshall equal to his effort. Great play form Fagan found Burns but his ball for Dair saw the cross just sneak out of play. An effort from Caldwell then troubled the ball boys more than Gordon Marshall. Fellow Fir Parker Sean Fagan was very unlucky to see yellow for accidental handball near the touchline. From the free kick Murdock was allowed space but could only head wide. A free kick was then given to Motherwell when Brown was very late on Adams. Burns flicked the ball on and it fell agonisingly beyond McDonald allowing Andersson to gather. Murdock then saw yellow for another foul on McDonald, not content with the foul he mouthed off and was probably lucky only to see yellow. Quinn found Adams but he had not time and sent the ball over.
That was that and Motherwell took home a crucial point.

Full Time     Hibernian  3     Motherwell  3

Match Report by Ricky Mullen