Hearts 0, Motherwell 1

Match Date: Saturday, November 20 2004
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 10,598
Motherwell Team (4-3-3):

Marshall, Quinn, Craigan, Partridge, Hammell, Corrigan, Leitch, Fitzpatrick (Burns 64), Foran, Clarkson (Wright 90), Paterson.  
Subs Not Used: Corr, Cowan, Kinniburgh, Higgins, Fagan.

Motherwell scorer: Foran (28 pen).

Booked: Paterson.


Heart of Midlothian  0     Motherwell  1 

A SUPERBLY-EXECUTED PENALTY BY RICHIE FORAN Gave Motherwell their first win at Tynecastle for 5 and-a-half years and continued the unbeaten run. The Fir Parkers have now put together three matches unbeaten, conceding no goals in the process, and are putting the bad run well behind them now. 

Within the first minute Motherwell had an opportunity when Richie Foran attempted an overhead kick which flew past on the angle. Martyn Corrigan then forced a corner after good work from Foran though it was cleared. The Irishman was heavily involved early-on and a free kick should have been given when Maybury hauled him back, play continued however. Maybury then got forward for the home side's first attack and his cross fell to De Vries but the weak header was easily held by Marshall. A quite blatant dive by Pereira over the feet of Craigan brought anger even from fellow Hearts man De Vries, the ball running to McAllister who drove well wide, with De Vries losing the rag at his team-mate.  A minute later, though, Pereira's ball found Maybury and his angled drive beat Marshall but cannoned off the far post and away to safety. The home side were pushing up and next was a Neilson cross headed well wide by McAllister.  Upfield, Pressley had to look sharp to cut out Quinn's cross before Clarkson nipped in. Hearts broke with Hartley volleying a ball which Leitch expertly cleared. Wyness then went down under minimal Craigan pressure gaining a free kick some 25 yards out. Hartley curled in and although Marshall couldn't gather his block allowed him to gather at the second attempt. Seconds later Wyness again went down with consummate ease when challenged by Craigan. This time Hartley could only find the chest of Foran who hooked away. The home fans were up in anger when McAllister went down injured after a clash with Clarkson. The Hearts man had gone over the ball and was lucky not to injure Clarkson, and he returned soon after. Clarkson played on and found Foran but he was cynically hacked by Neilson.  

A slack clearance from Pressley fell for the Motherwell man and Clarkson's 25-yard shot was superbly tipped over by Gordon in goals. Shortly afterwards a ricochet off Pressley and Neilson fell kindly for Fitzpatrick but he could only fire over with a 15-yard snapshot. However, Motherwell did make their next opportunity count and it was to prove a crucial moment in the match. Hammel and Clarkson combined brilliantly to send Corrigan clear and he was about to pull the trigger when Maybury rashly brought the Motherwell man down inside the box.  No doubts at all, a stonewaller of a penalty and Maybury duly received his red card for being the last man. Richie Foran stepped up and coolly slotted home a perfect penalty to send the large travelling support wild. Motherwell looked for a quick second, Foran found Quinn but Pressley cleared. Hammel then found Foran and his clever turn and shot was brilliantly palmed over by Gordon. The corner came out to Leitch and he appeared to find Paterson well on-side though the far side linesman decided otherwise. A bodycheck by Neilson on Clarkson left the Fir Parker grounded but Referee Rowbotham waved play on. Pereira of Hearts could count himself very lucky when he looked to have aimed a kick at Partridge, the Motherwell man going down clutching his knee. Not the sort to go down easily, unlike Pereira, there must have been something in it. Motherwell were dominant, but Hearts did have a chance when De Vries connected with a clearance but could only find Marshall in top form. Hartley's misplaced pass was snapped up by Leitch and finding Foran he was unlucky not in turn to get the ball to Clarkson in space. Hearts won a corner when Partridge knocked behind but this was well hooked away. Just before the break the home fans ridiculously abused David Clarkson who had fell awkwardly in a challenge and was lucky to avoid serious injury. 

Half-Time     Hearts  0     Motherwell  1 

The home side began on the attack with Neilson putting in a cross which Leitch smacked away. Handball by Hartley, right in front of the linesman, went unnoticed and Hearts broke upfield to win a corner. Marshall, commanding as ever, punched clear. Craigan played downfield where Pressley rather unnecessarily conceded a corner, though Webster rescued him when it came in.  Five minutes into the half Motherwell came agonisingly close to doubling their lead. Jim Paterson saw his fierce drive parried to the left by Gordon where Richie Foran stood, but his angled shot from 6 yards struck the post and to be fair it was a good effort. Gordon had all but recovered and Foran didn't have a full goal to aim at. It was all Motherwell again at this point; Fitzpatrick saw his effort deflected behind by Kisnorbo. Again the Australian conceded a second which Craigan met but Gordon was equal to the header with a fine save. Webster somehow didn't see yellow when he all but flattened Clarkson. From the free kick Paterson headed goalwards only again to see Gordon pull of a save.  Following another corner Hearts cleared and broke forward with Hartley. He found De Vries, but there was Craigan to superbly clear. Despite being fouled in quick succession by McAllister and Wyness midfielder Foran won no foul and instead McAllister, no in possession of the ball, did gain a free kick when Quinn challenged him 30 yards out. McAllister took a quick, low free kick round the wall but found Marshall in no mood to be beaten. Fantastic goalkeeping by Marshall then denied Pereira who was booked for a brilliant piece of simulation, otherwise known as simply cheating by diving. Still Motherwell pushed for a second and Clarkson was unlucky to see his 25-yard shot zip past the wrong side of the upright. A flurry of changes saw Burns replace Fitzpatrick, whilst Wyness and Pereira were replaced by Janczyk and Weir respectively. Another case of climbing by Webster on Clarkson failed to bring a caution, and despite prolonged dissent De Vries was merely warned. Hammel struck the free kick off the wall and Hearts broke, Craigan conceding a corner. Webster met it but again Marshall held firm. Although being persistently fouled by De Vries, Alex Burns was able to shrug him off and find Foran. With Corrigan clear to his right he instead chose to shoot and was blocked. More dissent was shown by McAllister who clearly abused the Linesman but escaped any punishment after he was penalised for fouling Foran. There was another case of diving, this time by Weir, inside the box though this time there was no official involvement.  

Burns and Clarkson then carved open the home defence but the latter's pass to Paterson had just too much strength. Superb skill from Foran then took him away from McAllister but the drive along the box was just beyond Clarkson.  Motherwell midfielder Jim Paterson was then booked for a late nick on Webster, just before Hearts replaced Kisnorbo with McKenna. Still Motherwell looked sharp and Burns broke to find Foran but his pass back saw the shot from Burns blocked. Hartley went down under a soft Hammel challenge and from the free kick McKenna shot well wide. Quinn burst down the wing and the cross for Foran was nipped away by the head of Webster. Another free kick around the box for Hearts came when De Vries fell as Craigan challenged him for a ball. Marshall superbly punched away to Foran and as he attempted to clear McKenna nipped at his ankles.  The ball ran behind and a corner was given, Marshall clutching the ball. Hammel found Corrigan and his run to 25 yards brought out a superb parry from Gordon.  As time began to run out De Vries was booked for constant backchat, Motherwell then changing Clarkson for Wright. In injury time Hearts Keeper Gordon came up for a corner and he incredibly escaped a booking when, as Marshall clutched the ball, he clearly manhandled his fellow custodian to prevent a quick kick downfield. An altercation between Hartley and Wright on the touchline saw a card issued apparently to Wright though Hartley looked as guilty if not more so.  Motherwell held firm and took the points home. 

Full time     Hearts  0     Motherwell  1

Match Report by Ricky Mullen