Hearts 0, Motherwell 0

Match Date: Saturday, April 30 2005
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 10,337.
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Quinn, Craigan, Partridge, Corrigan, Fagan (Paterson 69), Kerr, Fitzpatrick, Foran (Keogh 78), Clarkson, Hamilton.
Subs not used: Corr, Higgins, Kinniburgh.

Booked: Craigan, Partridge.


Hearts  0     Motherwell  0

DESPITE MISSING A PENALTY, Motherwell came away from Tynecastle with a point to remain unbeaten over the course of the season against their hosts. After a difficult opening half, the Fir Parkers more than matched their opponents during the second 45 to thoroughly deserve their point.

A Quinn long ball saw Hamilton clearly fouled by Pressley near the box but Referee Brines waved play on. Mikoliunas received the ball and crossed in towards Burchill though Partridge was on hand to hook to safety. Corrigan then took possession and passed to Fitzpatrick but he was beaten to the ball as Mikoliunas came in. Looking suspiciously offside was Burchill as he ran onto a Miller pass, but the flag stayed down and justice was seen to be done when he drove into the side netting. The response from Motherwell was a header forward from Hamilton to Clarkson, the latter bundled to the ground by Webster but again there was no foul. Quinn’s long ball was met by Clarkson but his effort struck Mikoliunas and Webster completed the clearance. Clarkson was looking lively and he beat a slow Wallace to the ball but saw his cross cleared by Pressley. A Neilson slip then gave Foran a chance though his shot was met by an impressive Gordon save at the near post. Foran was then caught by a very late MacFarlane challenge but there was no stoppage in play. The Referee was quick to halt play when Miller went down easily under a Partridge challenge, though the free kick was cleared by Hamilton. The ball returned and although Kerr knocked it off MacFarlane for a goal kick a corner was given. Stevie Craigan was the subject of a cynical Pressley tackle from the back but there was no card shown. Brian Kerr then fired in a shot from a Hamilton header but was wide of the target. The Hearts response saw Hartley finding Burchill who drove high on 16 yards. Fitzpatrick, recovered from injury, then was left in a heap by a Neilson challenge. The ball came in and Mikoliunas was lucky to see his mishit clearance strike Kerr and go past. Burchill and Miller linked up for the Tynecastle side though the shot from the latter was high to say the least. Miller looked to have taken a bit of a dive as Partridge challenged shortly afterwards but was given a free kick. Miller made a complete, if unsurprising, recovery and drove the free kick into the wall and away. The on-loan striker was in the thick of things, though his next involvement, an elbow into Partridge, should have carried more than the free kick which was awarded. Another wayward shot from Hearts saw Cesnauskis drive well over the top. Craigan was then adjudged to have fouled Miller who again appeared to be backing in. Miller again met the free kick but saw his header cleared. Burchill then saw a low cross partially hooked away by Partridge. The ball fell to Cesnauskis who crossed for Mikoliunas. His header appeared to be flying towards the net until Gordon Marshall produced a magnificent save to tip the ball round the post, the save equal of any during the season in any game. Angling a drive shortly afterwards was Mikoliunas but again Marshall saved well. Motherwell were struggling to break upfield and again the home side attacked. McFarlane found Miller but the ball bounced off the striker before Marshall gathered low. Shots from Hartley and then Burchill failed to trouble Marshall much, and Motherwell did indeed ride the pressure to almost take the lead. Fagan and Hamilton combined to set up Foran but his angled drive was superbly tipped over by Gordon. Just before the break Foran was given an even better chance to give Motherwell the lead. Webster clearly handled a Hamilton ball into the box and Referee Brines, initially awarding a free kick, pointed to the spot after a quick glance to his linesman. Foran stepped up for the second time this season at Tynecastle, but although he also beat Gordon this time, the ball struck the post and went past to end the first half action.

Half Time     Hearts  0     Motherwell  0

Just into the second half Wallace was late on Fagan near the halfway line but play continued. A cross from Mikoliunas looked to be causing problems but Craigan knocked it behind for a corner which, when swung in, saw Foran clear well downfield. Hartley continued to play on despite an early offside flag and drove wide but received no warning from the Referee. Fagan did well to get a cross in for Paterson and it took a vital Pressley interception as Foran hovered at the expense of a corner kick. An impressive Fitzpatrick run took him to the edge of the box though both his and Fagan’s shot were both blocked by defenders. Motherwell were looking far better in the opening period of the half, and Partridge’s long ball was knocked on by Hamilton into the path of Clarkson. Crossing deep Gordon only just plucked the ball away from the waiting Foran. Still on the attack, Fitzpatrick and Hamilton combined to send Clarkson wide. Slipping the ball on for Foran he shot on the angle but Gordon produced an important stop at the second attempt. Neilson then slipped allowing Foran to burst clear and although he rounded Gordon the ball sped on and frustratingly ran behind. Clarkson then latched onto a Hamilton ball but saw his 25-yard effort held. The game’s first booking saw Quinn rather unfortunate to see yellow after a tussle with Miller. Hamilton was then forced to concede a corner but Marshall confidently held the deflected Webster effort. Mikoliunas then sent a shot well wide before being booked when he crudely hacked Clarkson. Before the free kick was taken Motherwell replaced Fagan with Jim Paterson, whilst shortly afterwards Burchill made way for Wyness. Immediately involved, Paterson beat Wallace all ends up and crossed towards Hamilton. His header on was clearly kept in play by Foran though not according to the stand side linesman. Hearts took the ball forward and won a corner though Miller headed well over. The Fir Parkers kept up their forward play with Clarkson and Paterson combining to set up Corrigan but he saw a shot blocked. Responding was a Lithuanian combination, Mikoliunas slipping a pass to Cesnauskis who wildly shot over. A very tired Foran then left to be replaced by David Keogh. Slack play from Wallace almost put Gordon under severe pressure and his clearance struck Clarkson but was wide of goal and ran behind. Mikoliunas saw a cross for Miller cleared by Partridge though the Lithuanian’s next involvement saw hi drive a Cesnauskis cross well over the bar. Mikoliunas then leapt dramatically over a Corrigan challenge to gain a free kick which Hartley drove off the wall before Wyness was caught well off-side. Wyness was next to tumble easily as Kerr challenged, though this time it was Miller who drove off the wall. Clarkson broke but was cynically fouled by Cesnauskis who saw yellow. Craigan joined him in the book when Cesnauskis fell as if shot. With time running out Marshall had to look smart to tip over a Wyness shot. 

Full Time     Hearts  0     Motherwell  0

Match Report by Ricky Mullen