Motherwell 1, Hibernian 2

Match Date: Saturday, August 14 2004
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 5,859
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Corrigan, Craigan, Kinniburgh, Hammell, Fagan (McBride 62), O'Donnell, Leitch, Paterson (Foran 81), McDonald, Burns (Clarkson 74). Subs not used: Partridge, Corr, Cowan, Wright.

Motherwell scorer: O'Donnell (20).

Booked: Leitch.


Motherwell  1     Hibernian  2 

DESPITE BEING REDUCED TO NINE MEN, Hibs managed to hold on to sneak all three points back along the M8 to Edinburgh. Motherwell more than deserved at least a point but could not convert good approach work into the necessary goals, and slumped to their second defeat of the new season. 

An early free kick went Hibs way when Fagan was adjudged to have fouled Glass.  Caldwell rose with a free header though directed it well wide of the target.  However, Motherwell failed to heed the warning and fell a goal behind just a minute later. A long ball out of defence had O'Connor racing through and he outran the home defence before slotting beyond Marshall. It was almost an immediate response from the Fir Parkers. McDonald did very well to set up Burns in the centre of the goals and his 16-yard shot drifted narrowly past the post.  Not long afterwards O'Donnell dispossessed Glass before supplying Burns though his shot deflected off Caldwell giving Brown an easier save. A foul by Murdoch on Burns went without notice allowing Hibs to break. A quick exchange involving Brown, McManus and O'Connor allowed Glass to get in shot though Marshall in goals was on hand to hold. Superb play from Jim Paterson saw him carve open the defence but his pass in to Burns saw the striker unable to trap the ball and it ran through to the keeper. What looked a fair challenge by Craigan on Glass regained possession moments later though Referee Underhill decided otherwise.  Murdock rose high but directed his header well wide. Fagan was then fouled by Murphy giving Motherwell a free kick. Crossing deep Fagan's ball was met by Kinniburgh though the header was directed past. Late on McDonald, Brebner was punished with a free kick to Motherwell. Paterson could only make the wall, Hammell gathered only to be dispossessed. However, he recovered well and regained the ball from Buezelin. More clever wing play from Paterson saw him make the by line though the cross fell just beyond McDonald. Motherwell were looking likely, and realised this a minute or two later. McDonald slipped a perfect ball through the defence for O'Donnell and he slammed the ball beyond Brown for the equaliser.  

Corrigan was brought down in the next passage of play by Brown giving Motherwell a free kick though this was gathered by his namesake in goals. Midfielder Brown was then fouled himself by Hammell and from the free kick O'Connor headed in only for Leitch to clear. Brebner then took play forward supplying Glass whose curling shot went past. With McManus lying injured Motherwell played the ball out of play to allow treatment. However, clearly displaying a lack of respect for sporting play Brebner immediately played the ball in such a fashion as to ensure Motherwell were under pressure. Justice was done when Brebner picked up a yellow for a foul on Leitch. Murdock should have followed when late on Leitch moments afterwards but play continued. From a free kick out on the right Caldwell rose highest but saw his header held by Marshall. A poor kick from Marshall fell to McManus and although he found Brebner Marshall was there in time. Marshall was called upon again when he did superbly well to parry a drive from Glass. Paterson took play up the park and skipped past Brebner but saw the cross beat Burns. A long ball from Hammell looked to have struck Whittaker for a corner but a goal kick was given. Hammell found McDonald with his next pass but the shot was high. Looking off side O'Connor gathered a ball from defence and won a corner. Leitch cleared, and Motherwell almost took the lead. Fagan headed a cross goalwards only to see Caldwell head off the line to keep the scores level at the break.  

Half Time     Motherwell  1     Hibernian  1 

Motherwell began positively and a McDonald run took him into the box. Passing to Paterson it took a vital Brown interception with Glass completing the clearance to end the danger. McDonald lay injured though despite calls for the ball to be played out Shiels, on for McManus, played on and almost regained the lead after bursting into the box and shooting into the side net. McDonald recovered after treatment though Hibs lack of sportsmanship was evident. Only a great save from Marshall kept the scores level soon after. Buezelin dispossessed Fagan and crossed to O'Connor whose shot was parried away by the home keeper. Corrigan then did superbly to deny a O'Connor ball reaching Shiels. The ball feel for Brown whose effort was well gathered by the alert Marshall in goals. Captain Scott Leitch then sent a great ball wide for Paterson to make ground but his cross was just too deep. Leitch then saw yellow when he was booked for a foul on Brebner. A neat lay off from Fagan found McDonald but his angled effort failed to trouble Brown too much. Bursting forward was Brown and his low cross was expertly dealt with by Craigan who hooked the ball well away. Brown had a chance himself a minute later though his shot was high and well over. Motherwell made a change with Fagan making way for Kevin McBride. Brebner was next to try his luck form outside the box but like his team mate Brown drove high over the cross bar. Paterson was having joy on the wing and again he skipped past a defender to deliver a good cross, though burns, despite beating Murdock, could only direct his header wide. McBride and Corrigan combined well to open the defence but Murdock managed to nick in ahead of Paterson. A foul on McDonald by Murdock gave Motherwell a free kick some 30 yards out. Although Murdock cleared, McBride found Paterson and in turn McDonald. Making the by line McDonald knocked the ball cleanly off Caldwell though somehow the Referee and Linesman both decided on a goal kick.  

Successive crosses from Whittaker and Buezelin were easily dealt with, just before Motherwell made a second change, Burns being replaced by Clarkson. The young striker was immediately involved, slipping the ball to Corrigan whose effort was held. McDonald fond Leitch who saw Brown parry his shot, but just when it looked like Motherwell would go ahead the visitors did. Kinniburgh looked like he had won the ball from Brebner though Referee Underhill gave a free kick. Quickly taken by Whittaker, the ball was played into O'Connor and his shot clipped the inside of the far post before resting in the net.  Motherwell immediately attempted to get back on level terms. Glass hooked away as Clarkson looked to connect with McDonalds' ball. McDonald then laid the ball off for Corrigan but he drove over from 18 yards. A third Fir Park change had Richie Foran replacing Jim Paterson. A late Brebner dig at Leitch went unpunished, though Buezelin was booked for a late hack at McBride. As the players lined up for the free kick, Murdock elbowed O'Donnell in the box.  Hammell had already began to take the free kick, but Referee Underhill, after red carding Murdock, decided play should resume with the free kick. Caldwell looked to have brought down Clarkson though no penalty was given either. Play was cleared to the half way line and as Craigan shepherded the ball out Brebner unnecessarily slapped the defender round the head. He saw his second yellow card become a red and walked. Visiting Keeper Brown then twice in quick succession denied Motherwell a deserved point. Firstly, he superbly parried a Foran shot before a McBride volley from outside the box was somehow tipped round the post. Hibs held on and snuck away with the points. 

Full Time     Motherwell  1     Hibernian  2

Match Report by Ricky Mullen