Motherwell 0, Kilmarnock 1

Match Date: Wednesday, October 27 2004
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 4,521
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Quinn, Partridge, Craigan, Hammell, Paterson, Corrigan, Leitch (Fagan 53), Foran, McDonald (Burns 73), Clarkson.
Subs not used: Corr, Cowan, Fitzpatrick, Connolly, Coakley.

Booked: Clarkson, Hammell, Paterson.


Motherwell 0, Kilmarnock 1

THE VISITORS STOLE ALL THREE POINTS AS Motherwell failed to win for the fourth game in a row. Kilmarnock were rarely a potent threat but managed to take all three points due to the Fir Parkers' inability to turn possession into goals.

Within the first 25 seconds it could, and perhaps should, have been the opener for Motherwell. McDonald raced clear on the right and, cutting inside, sent a shot rasping across the face of goal which Combe appeared to touch but there was no corner. The visitors hit back with a corner though this came to nothing. Good play from Foran and McDonald set up Leitch for a 25-yard shot but he was blocked by Greer. A quite ridiculous booking then came for David Clarkson as Referee Murray deemed the clash involving Lilley, Combe and Clarkson to be a bookable offence when, in fact, the visiting defender caused the problems. A very high challenge by McDonald of the visitors should have carried a yellow but amazingly Referee Murray decided otherwise, with Scott Leitch warned as he vented his anger at the lack of a card. David Partridge then got on the end of a free kick, given after he himself had been fouled by Johnston, but Combe held firm. Motherwell should have had a corner when McDonald drilled a Clarkson cross off Lilley but again the Referee blundered. Terrific skill from Martyn Corrigan, playing in an unusual midfield role, almost set up Clarkson who was just out of reach. Combe then had to be sharp to deny Clarkson who looked to meet a ball from Quinn.

Clarkson was receiving some very rough treatment and he required attention after a ridiculous effort from Lilley, to which the lack of a card was mystifying. At last a visitor was booked, Greer for again singling out Clarkson. Kilmarnock almost stole the lead when, despite being quite a distance off-side, Dargo was allowed to continue and hit a ball from Johnston off the post with Hammel clearing. Having just been booked, Greer should have taken an early bath for two quick and downright dangerous tackles on Paterson and McDonald; the latter after the ball had been played. Once more, Referee Murray ignored. Clever play from Foran then gained the Fir Parkers a corner and although cleared, Corrigan ensured the pressure kept up by winning another. However, the Rugby Park outfit broke forward for a corner of their own which was swept away. Under sever pressure, Richie Foran showed fine skill to evade several visiting players when inside his own box and put the ball upfield. Clarkson was once more the recipient of a nasty lunge from Lilley though no one was surprised to see no yellow card issued. After ensuring a corner, McDonald and Hammel played a clever short ball which had Combe struggling to clear. A blatant dive from Nish somehow won him a free kick when, despite the linesman keeping his flag down, the Referee deemed it a foul - this with the Linesman just a yard or two away from the incident. Craigan cleared allowing Paterson to break. Supplying Hammel he in turn found Clarkson but with time to be more accurate the out-of-sorts striker blasted the ball over with McDonald in space. Foran was next to receive the rough treatment, Dindeleux the culprit, no card the outcome. Seconds later Dindeleux then brought down Paterson, same result. From the free kick Combe struggled to parry clear. The ball came back in and a brilliant turn and shot from McDonald saw the ball graze the crossbar on it's way over. Motherwell continued to press, Foran sending a header wide. The response was a header from Ford which caused few problems. Stevie Hammel was then yellow-carded for a tug at Invincible who unsurprisingly went down like he'd been shot. Soon after clear dissent from Nish was completely ignored. Just before the break Hammel and Clarkson combined and it took a crucial stop from Lilley to end the danger.

Half Time: Motherwell 0, Kilmarnock 0

An early free kick went the way of the visitors when Foran was harshly adjudged to have fouled Leven, Foran himself clearing the free kick. A burst forward from David Clarkson took him into the box but a crucial delay in releasing the ball to McDonald allowed the visitors to regroup. Leitch regained possession and via Paterson found McDonald but he could only slice the ball over the top. Clarkson looked to have another opportunity to break when he dispossessed Lilley though the Kilmarnock man was rescued by the Referee who somehow blew for a foul. Scott Leitch had to leave the field after he was caught very late by a high McDonald challenge, the Motherwell Captain clearly angered as he pointed the gash on his leg to the Fourth Official. The visitors still carried little threat, a header from Nish easily held by Marshall. Leitch could not continue and was replaced by Sean Fagan. Kilmarnock attacked with Invincible finding Johnston but despite having an open goal he shot wide from 18 yards as the Motherwell defence was posted missing. Motherwell came close themselves when a one-two between Clarkson and McDonald saw the latter drill a shot into the side netting, Ford catching the striker late. Motherwell had not heeded the earlier warning, and more slack defending allowed the visitors an unlikely goal. Invincible was allowed room on the right and his low cross was parried by Marshall to the feet of the unmarked Nish who could not repeat Johnston's earlier miss.

Lilley was at long last booked for a climb on Clarkson just afterwards. The free kick was cleared as far as Craigan and as he returned the ball Leven was very late indeed and caught the Northern Irish International. Referee Murray decided this was not an offence. A visiting change had Johnston replaced by Murray. He was immediately involved forcing a corner which was cleared. Upfield, Combe had to race from his goal to deny McDonald and there was a hint of upper-arm contact with the ball outside the area. Foran was sent spinning after Dindeleux had clattered into him. Somehow Nish managed to block Paterson as he looked to level things. Martyn Corrigan was next to try and he sent a 25-yard shot wide. Motherwell replaced the hobbling McDonald with Burns, and he was almost instantly upended by Ford. Burns drove a fierce shot into the wall and out wide. Referee Murray then deemed Nish, playing on well after knowingly been declared offside, was not guilty of a bookable offence despite smacking the ball towards goal. Dindeleux by now should have seen at least a yellow, but his latest foul went without seeing a card of any sort. The free kick was whipped in though Foran could only direct it wide. Jim Paterson must have felt like asking Referee Murray simply "Why?" when he was booked for a challenge on Invincible. Motherwell kept pressing, Hammel drove wide. A late change for the visitors had Dargo replaced by Fowler. Some blatant time wasting later, the visitors left with all three points.

Full Time: Motherwell 0, Kilmarnock 1

Match Report by Ricky Mullen