Morton 0, Motherwell 3

Match Date: Tuesday, August 24 2004
Competition: CIS League Cup, 2nd Round
Attendance: 3,767
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Corrigan, Kinniburgh, Craigan, Hammell, McBride, O'Donnell, Leitch (Fagan 70), Paterson (Foran 58), Clarkson, McDonald (Burns 76). Subs not used: Corr, Partridge.

Motherwell scorers: Paterson (42), McBride (67 pen), Clarkson (75).

Booked: Craigan.


Greenock Morton  0     Motherwell  3

 DESPITE SOME EARLY SCARES, IT Was Motherwell who advanced to the Third Round of the CIS Cup. Another eccentric Refereeing Performance from Fan's favourite Willie Young caused much amusement as well as anger, and though the home side battled well, Motherwell's class told in the end. 

The game kicked off ten minutes late due to horrendous road works in nearby Port Glasgow, but Motherwell didn't hang around and were almost ahead within the first couple of minutes. Corrigan flighted in a cross for Clarkson to set up McDonald though he was flagged offside as his shot went past the far post.  Morton responded when Greacen slipped a ball through to Weatherston whose shot went past. Corrigan ran though from midfield to find McBride and the cross looked set for Clarkson until McCluskey hooked away. McDonald then did very well to turn outside the box and test Coyle; the keeper was up to the test however. Brilliant defending from Kinniburgh then stopped Millar getting on the end of a ball from Williams, the corner being headed well wide by Greacen. A slip by McDonald allowed McAllistair to break though his shot was blocked by Craigan. Fellow-defender Kinniburgh was adjudged to have fouled Weatherston 35 yards out and Craigan knocked the free kick behind for another corner. Shortly afterwards Weatherston and Williams played a neat one-two with the latter sending his shot over the top. A nasty late challenge from McAllistair had Paterson in trouble though he recovered, Referee Young deeming a free kick sufficient. The ball came in and Coyle somehow managed to knock the ball away from O'Donnell inside the six-yard box.  

A long free kick from Craigan was then deflected off Collins by Paterson for a corner though it was too near Coyle. Morton then gained a free kick near the box when Weatherston went down easily under an O'Donnell challenge. The free kick was driven into the wall with the home fans for the first of many times screaming hand ball, the follow-up from McCluskey going wildly over. Terrific work again from Corrigan found McBride who forced a corner. Kinniburgh saw his shot strike the arm of McAllistair on it's way past though this corner came to Coyle. Stevie Hammel was then brought down by a late McAllistair tackle. From the free kick McDonald sent in a low cross which Coyle plucked from Clarkson.  The home reply was a shot from Maisano which troubled only those on the terracing. McBride was then late on Walker and gained a warning from Referee Young though it was no worse than earlier challenges. Clever play from McDonald took him to the by-line but McCluskey cleared. A minute later McBride crossed for Clarkson to knock on and as McDonald tried to connect he was pushed over by McCluskey though play continued. The Cappielow outfit attacked and it took a fine Craigan stop to deny Walker with McAllistair heading the corner over. A turn and shot from McDonald had Coyle down low to clutch the effort and soon after again the Australian International brought out the best from the Morton custodian. Motherwell were beginning to look likely and the promise came good four minutes from the break. Leitch played a superb ball through to Paterson and he slipped round Coyle. With the angle extremely tight the Fir Parker somehow squeezed the ball home to give Motherwell the lead. Another crunching tackle from Millar had Corrigan in pain with the free kick knocked behind for a fruitless corner. 

Half Time     Morton  0     Motherwell  1 

Motherwell resumed on the attack and a crucial clearance from McAllistair denied Clarkson. The striker then looked to find McDonald and despite being clambered over by McCluskey there was no foul. The home fans howled for a free kick when Craigan challenged McAlistair and although it was a foul the yellow card seemed harsh. Walker then went down like a sack of spuds when Hammel won possession though the free kick was cleared. Morton had upped their efforts with Walker forcing a corner off Kinniburgh. This led to the home side's best chance but they passed it up. Walker and Williams seemed to get in each other's road as they had only Marshall to beat some six yards out, with Williams eventually seeing his weak header cleared. Motherwell replied, McDonald sending Paterson wide but his shot was too high. McBride went down under a hefty Collins challenge but there was to be no foul. Williams and Weatherston then carved open a chance and it was Craigan to the rescue with a brilliant clearance.  Greacen joined Craigan in the book when he clattered into McDonald. From the free kick McDonald superbly headed towards goal only to see Coyle equal to the goal-bound effort. Motherwell then replaced the injured Paterson with Richie Foran. A long free kick from McBride almost found Clarkson, McCluskey hooking clear.  

Hammel then forced a corner and although cleared, the second Motherwell goal was merely delayed. Shortly after Walker replaced Williams, it was two-nil.  Clarkson pounced on an error from Collins and as he raced into the box the Morton defender brought him down from the back. It was a straight red, eventually, from Referee Young, and Kevin McBride scored his first Motherwell goal from the spot. Moments after the re-start McBride almost found Clarkson with a low cross. Scott Leitch was replaced by Sean Fagan seconds later. In nosebleed territory was Martyn Corrigan and after an impressive run he shot well over. The third goal did follow, though. McBride sent in a great cross for Foran to find Clarkson and, skipping round the Keeper, the striker scored his first of the season much to his own relief. Millar made a run for Morton through midfield with his progress halted by a late Foran tackle. Greacen fired in a shot though Marshall held easily. The home side changed Maisano for Bannerman before what could only be described as a joke decision by Referee Young gave them a penalty. Corrigan won fairly from Weatherston. There was no way it was a penalty, but to the anger of the away support and players alike, he pointed to the spot. Justice was done, however, when Weatherston saw the shot brilliantly saved by Marshall low to his left. With time running out Foran had a shot held before Weatherston's angled drive was past. 

Full Time     Morton  0     Motherwell  3

Match Report by Ricky Mullen