Livingston 0, Motherwell 5

Match Date: Tuesday, November 9 2004
Competition: CIS League Cup Quarter Final
Attendance: 2,886.
Motherwell Team (4-3-3):

Marshall, Quinn, Craigan, Partridge, Hammell, Paterson, Corrigan, O'Donnell (Wright 78), Fitzpatrick, Clarkson, Foran (Fagan 64).
Subs Not Used: Burns, Kinniburgh, Corr. 

Motherwell scorers: Dorado (3 og), Foran (38, 60pen), O'Donnell (57), Wright (90).

Booked: Foran, Hammell.


Livingston  0     Motherwell  5 

A FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE FROM MOTHERWELL Saw them cruise past holders Livingston into the Semi-Finals of the CIS Cup.  It was a fine performance from the Fir Parkers who now progress to their first League Cup Semi Final for 17 years. 

Right from kick off Motherwell pushed up and weren't far off taking an early lead.  Fitzpatrick sent Paterson wide and his cross was dinked along by Foran though cleared.  However, Fitzpatrick's next contribution did count.  He went on a surging run and this time used Clarkson.  The cross came in and the ball was bundled over the line, and whilst it was credited as an own goal by Dorado, Richie Foran lay claim after the match.  Livingston lost possession immediately and this time only a very dubious offside flag prevented a second, Paterson slipping a ball to Clarkson who finished with ease.  The home defence was in tatters, and again a late offside let them off the hook, Clarkson again flagged. Indeed, the first response from Livingston came on 7 minutes, a weak shot from Hamilton going well wide.  From a free kick given when McNamee went down under a minimal Foran challenge, Hamilton saw his header easily cleared.  It was almost two to Motherwell when Paterson raced onto O'Donnell's through ball, the last desperate block by Dorado proving crucial.  Livingston did threaten somewhat when McNamee's cross was side-footed by Snodgrass wide.  Snodgrass then almost got in on a forward ball though Marshall did well to clear his lines.  Richie Foran was very unfortunate to be booked for virtually his first tackle, Snodgrass also lucky not to be booked when he re-entered the field of play moments later without permission.  Indeed, he then went on to push Craigan over and escape even a free kick.  Then, twice in quick succession, high tackles by firstly Lovell and then Dorado failed to bring any cards, the latter only being a free kick as Clarkson recovered.  Motherwell forced two corners in a row, and from the second Quinn saw his drive charged down.  

David Partridge was then unlucky when it was adjudged he had fouled Hamilton, the latter seemingly not very keen in jumping for a ball.  Fitzpatrick broke upfield from the free kick but saw his path to goal blocked by Rubio.  He was a bit luckier a minute later when he got on the end of a Quinn cross but could only head over.  Motherwell received a scare when Easton, in space inside the box, headed an O'Brien cross over the top.  Dorado should have seen yellow when he flattened Clarkson from the back, and from the free kick Clarkson challenged Snowdon who went down very easily to regain possession.  A terrific tackle from Partridge then denied Snodgrass who was going clear on the edge of the box.  The Fir Parkers almost doubled their advantage when Quinn's cross took a big deflection of McNamee and went wide. Easton, like Dorado, then escaped yellow when he took Corrigan out late.  Seconds later, Motherwell did double their lead.  Hammel broke up the wing and, finding Paterson, he crossed low where Clarkson allowed the ball to run on for Foran to slam home.  Home keeper McKenzie then lost possession inside his box to Clarkson but as the striker looked set to score Referee Brines bizarrely deemed the loss illegal. Livingston were forced into a change, Lovell replaced by Brittain.  It was almost three when, after Paterson forced a corner, Foran saw his effort hooked away by Dorado.  Paterson then set up Clarkson but the shot was over the bar. The Motherwell man was then the subject of a late, late Snowdon tackle, no card and Paterson eventually recovered.  Snowdon then clearly dived as Fitzpatrick came in but a free kick was given.  Swung in, Hamilton saw his header nick the post and as Snodgrass shot the effort was ruled offside as it snuck over the line.  

Half Time     Livingston  0     Motherwell  2 

The Fir Parkers showed firstly in the second half, Fitzpatrick right from kick off finding Foran wide but his cross was cleared by Snowdon.  Motherwell had a free kick awarded when Rubio, and not for the first time, was late on Clarkson but made nothing of it.  Then a handball by Dorado gave away a free kick 25 yards out but this time Hamilton headed away.  The response from Livingston was a Lilley volley which Marshall did well to hold.  Seconds later Marshall again came to the rescue, this time as Lilley shot on the angle from an O'Brien cross.  A run from O'Brien then took him to the by line but despite picking out Hamilton there was Marshall.  Livingston were pushing to get back into things, and forced a corer which Hamilton meekly headed wide.  A shot from Lilley then was cleared and as Clarkson broke upfield somehow McNamee failed to be booked when he took out the striker.  Motherwell rode the storm, and with a quick-fire double, ended the game as a contest.  The free kick was cleared as far as O'Donnell, and his first-time shot took a slice off Hamilton and sped past McKenzie into the net. Although Hammel then conceded a corner right from kick off, Motherwell broke forward and the game was over.   Foran raced onto a through ball and was brought down by Dorado. A straight red card later, Foran gathered the ball and confidently slotted the penalty home for number four.  IT was Foran's last involvement and he left the field to a huge cheer from the appreciative Motherwell support, being replaced by Sean Fagan.  

The response from Livingston was a soft Hamilton header which drifted well past. Brittain couldn't keep his mouth closed at a decision and earned himself a yellow card.  Then a shot from McNamee on the angle went sailing over the bar. A cynical trip by Snodgrass saw him see yellow soon after, though Hammel, taking exception to the foul, was also carded for simply easing the home player out of his face.  David Partridge rose to meet the free kick and was annoyed at himself for heading wide with the goal gaping.  A good move involving O'Donnell and Fagan then gave Fitzpatrick room to move out wide and Clarkson should have done better with the resultant header.  Another change for Livingston had Snodgrass replaced by McMenamin.  Still Motherwell came forward and this time Clarkson did get a header on target though McKenzie held firm.  Hammel was next to have a go, firing over from 25 yards.  Phil O'Donnell then made way for Kenny Wright, whilst Hamilton left to jeers from the Motherwell fans, replaced by McLaughlin. Teammate McNamee was yellow carded soon after when he was late on Quinn. Motherwell were attacking at will, Wright to Fagan and the cross was met by Paterson though McKenzie saved superbly at the expense of a corner.  Clarkson met the second corner but sent his effort wide.  A rare break for Livingston about summed up their night, McNamee angling a shot which was wider than a jumbo jet.  Kenny Wright should have sent Motherwell nap when he tamely shot wide from a Fagan ball.  A clever pass by Paterson then had Clarkson racing away but another poor offside denied him.  Intent on keeping a clean sheet, Marshall dealt confidently with a McLaughlin shot from 20 yards.  In the final minute Motherwell did make it five. Clarkson's flick on was met by a well-timed Wright run and he confidently chipped over McKenzie into the net from the edge of the box.  It rounded off a superb night, the Motherwell players, with Manager Butcher, joining in a round of appreciative applause. 

Full Time     Livingston  0     Motherwell  5

Match Report by Ricky Mullen