Dunfermline 0, Motherwell 0

Match Date: Wednesday, March 2 2005
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 3,565.
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Quinn, Partridge, Craigan (Kinniburgh 81), Hammell, McBride (Foran 85), Leitch, Fitzpatrick, Paterson, McDonald, Hamilton.
Subs Not Used: Corr, Clarkson, Wright, Corrigan, Fagan.

Booked: Hammell.


Dunfermline Athletic  0     Motherwell  0

AT A CHILLY EAST END PARK, The points were shared as neither team could find a spark to ignite a rather stale game. Both teams had their chances, but Motherwell perhaps will take more from the point as they chase a place in the top six.

An early long free kick from Stevie Hammell found Scott McDonald but he was adjudged to have fouled Tod on the edge of the box. Ross of Dunfermline then appeared to carry the ball out on the touchline but play was waved on, and Hristov met his cross though Marshall held well. Hristov then bustled his way into the box but superb defending from Partridge saw his shot partially blocked allowing Marshall to gather easily. Paterson then broke upfield and his ball to McDonald went wide. The ball was gathered by Paterson again and finding McBride the midfielder’s shot raced across the box but out at the far end. A deliberate hand ball by Hristov gave Motherwell possession but the Dunfermline man escaped a booking. Donnelly then passed to Young though his curling effort went over on the angle with Marshall covering. Stevie Hammell raced upfield and almost sent Fitzpatrick clear only for Tod to rescue his team. The ball looped to McDonald and his speculative header was held by Stillie. Getting in the road of a fierce Makel shot was David Partridge, and he eventually recovered after blocking the ball with his more sensitive parts, with Quinn conceding a corner. Swung in, Marshall was unable to gather but the ball was swept behind for a second corner kick. This time Tod headed well wide. McDonald then looked set to bear down on the home goal until a cynical clip for Donnelly halted his progress, and for reasons known only to Uncle Willie Young, there was a distinct lack of a yellow card. Hammell took the free kick with McDonald sending in a dangerous cross though Thomson cleared. Motherwell did have the ball in the net moments later. After Quinn won a corner, the ball was sent in deep by Hammell. Although Wilson cleared, Hammell soon returned the ball and this time McDonald scored only for a dubious offside flag to deny him. Mason, for Dunfermline, then sent a shot wide of the upright after Christiansen had set him up. More attacking play from Hammell took him to the edge of the home box and although he managed a shot it rasped wide of the far post. Persistent fouling from Hristov earned him a talking too from Referee Young but there was no card. On his last visit to East End Park, Scott McDonald scored with a spectacular volley, but his effort near the break was wider than perhaps he would have liked to say the least. 

Half Time     Dunfermline  0     Motherwell  0

The home side made a change at the break, Thomson replaced by Campbell. The sub was immediately involved when he was sent wide by Donnelly and the cross knocked behind by Quinn. Christiansen rose to head the ball but Marshall was equal and saved. Scott McDonald then quite fairly dispossessed Wilson near the touchline and looked set to test Stillie until Referee Young decided that the shirt-tugging Dunfermline defender had instead been fouled. The Fir Parkers gained a free kick near the box when Ross sent McDonald crashing to the ground, but Hammell’s effort was wide. Upfield Christiansen then gathered a grateful break but found Hammell alert to concede a corner which Marshall commandingly took. An attempted volley from Mason shortly afterwards went well past. Good play from the impressive Paterson saw him find McDonald and the striker did very well to slip along the 18-yard-line before unleashing a tremendous shot which only just cleared the cross bar. A one-two involving Christiansen and Hristov opened up an opportunity for the latter whose 16-yard effort was superbly tipped over by Marshall. It was the home midfielder’s last involvement as he was substituted by Mehmet. Teammate Ross made the by line shortly afterwards to whip in a cross which Tod met though again Marshall was not to be beaten. Another close thing in favour of Motherwell arrived when Stillie, attempting to clear, sent the ball crashing off McDonald though the ball zipped inches past the far post. McDonald then set up Hammell but he found his route well blocked. Stevie Hammell found his name in the book when a foul on Ross was deemed a yellow card. Motherwell broke forward from the clearance with Fitzpatrick finding Paterson but his shot went wide. Important defending by Ross denied McDonald who looked set to connect with a McBride cross, with Christiansen back defending conceding a corner. Wilson cleared and the home side broke but a low cross form Donnelly was easily held by Marshall. Mehmet won a corner off Craigan moments later which Tod headed wide, before Young was replaced by his brother. McDonald was again flattened by Wilson who again failed to see yellow. Superb play from Hammell sent Paterson wide but his cross was blocked behind. Paterson himself got on the end of the corner but Tod managed to clear near the line. With ten minutes left Craigan, suffering from ‘flu all week, left looking visibly tired and was replaced by Kinniburgh. The young defender was involved right away, knocking a cross from Mehmet behind for a corner which was cleared. Jim Paterson almost broke the stalemate when he skipped past Ross and looked set to drill the ball beyond Stillie only to see Ross get back to block. Motherwell then replaced McBride with Richie Foran. The bookings were squared up when Tod saw yellow for taking McDonald out. As time began to run out, Dunfermline forced four successive corners before Motherwell eventually cleared. Right on the whistle Quinn was adjudged to have fouled Mehmet 25 yards out. Makel curled in but Marshall held. 

Full Time     Dunfermline  0     Motherwell  0

Match Report by Ricky Mullen