Motherwell 2, Celtic 3

Match Date: Saturday, October 30 2004
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 10,592.
Motherwell Team (4-4-2):

Marshall, Quinn, Craigan, Partridge, Hammell, Foran, Corrigan, O'Donnell, Paterson, Burns, Clarkson. 
Subs not used: Corr, Cowan, Wright, Fagan, Kinniburgh, Fitzpatrick, Coakley.

Motherwell scorers: Corrigan (67), Foran (71 pen).

Booked: Corrigan.


Motherwell  2     Celtic  3 

A BRAVE FIGHTBACK BY AN IMPRESSIVE MOTHERWELL Was ultimately in vain as the visitors stole back to Glasgow with all three points. The Fir Parkers dominated proceedings throughout large parts of the game but failed to turn possession into a match-winning performance. 

Early on Clarkson sent a 20-yard shot past after Balde could only partially clear a ball into the box. Foran then played a ball down the wing which Clarkson and Balde chased. The Motherwell man won fairly but Balde got the benefit from a poor Refereeing decision. Again Foran was involved, played in by Burns though Balde was there to clear. The ball fell to Burns but his attempted lob went over. There was a free kick for Motherwell shortly afterwards when McNamara flattened Clarkson though this, and an award given to the visitors when Hammell was adjudged to have fouled Juninho, came to nothing. A Juninho pass was intercepted by Hammell who sent Paterson away but his cross went beyond the attackers. O'Donnell dispossessed Juninho and broke forward. A fine pass found Hammell, and he in turn supplied Burns, but a rushed shot sailed over the top.  Richie Foran was then fouled by Valgaeren. The free kick from Hammell, though, was curled wide. Motherwell were well on top and Burns raced to the by-line.  The cross was only partially cleared by Valgaeren but the return from Paterson was held by Marshall. A brilliant piece of defending from Craigan stopped the breaking Petrov just inside the box and as Motherwell broke, Balde was guilty of blatantly taking out Clarkson though there was no card. Valgaeren conceded a corner but this was cleared. Hammell was next to go forward and finding Paterson the cross almost sneaked in to Clarkson. There should have been a card for Balde when he clattered into Hammell but there was only a friendly warning.  

Hammell released Burns and his cross landed on the wrong side of the net.  Motherwell did have the ball in the net soon after and it was harshly adjudged offside. Paterson found him and the header came off the post and went in, but the linesman wrongly raised the flag as Clarkson was well on. Within seconds Celtic had done likewise, but this time it was clearly offside as Hartson netted. Thompson saw yellow when his attempted to climb all over Foran resulted in a caution. Hammell found the wall and his follow up Marshall. Another booking for the visitors came quickly, Valgaeren seeing a yellow card when he flattened Alex Burns. Clarkson headed on but Valgaeren got back to clear.  Completely against the run of play Celtic took the lead with an easily preventable goal. Petrov and Juninho combined to find McGeady in space and despite the efforts of Craigan the ball rolled over the line. It was harsh on Motherwell who had dictated things to this point, and they tried to instantly hit back. Paterson crossed for Foran but his header was held by Marshall. A deliberate handball, normally a bookable offence, saw Agathe punished but the free kick was cleared. 

Half Time     Motherwell  0     Celtic  1 

The visitors began the second half as if they had actually turned up, with a Thompson free kick headed on by Hartson into the arms of Marshall. McGeady then burst into the box though his effort was dealt with by Marshall once again.  Motherwell responded and it was Valgaeren who cleared as Clarkson looked set to meet Quinn's dangerous cross in. The Belgian, already on a yellow, was fortunate not to see another and subsequent red when taking out Clarkson. Burns strode up and curled a superb free kick inches past with Marshall well and truly beaten. A chase involving Valgaeren and Clarkson saw the latter win quite fairly but as the Motherwell man raced along the by-line Referee McDonald came to the visitors' rescue by giving a ridiculous free kick. Hammell regained possession and found O'Donnell but his shot went over the top. Celtic somehow escaped when a stramash occurred right in front of goal. Corrigan had seen his shot blocked and it took a wild clearance from Balde to end the danger. Rather unnecessarily, Gordon Marshall almost conceded a second when he inexplicably raced from goal only to be beaten by Juninho out wide; fortunately the shot was wide of the mark. Forcing successive corners, Celtic were unable to make anything of them as Motherwell defended stoutly. However, they did double their advantage in somewhat dubious circumstances. Petrov burst into the area and appeared to go down very easily indeed as Quinn made a challenge. Thompson took the penalty and scored. Many a team might well have collapsed at this point, but not Motherwell, who responded in the most positive fashion possible. After Juninho had made way for Beattie, Motherwell pulled a goal back. Martyn Corrigan pounced on a partial clearance to ram the ball into the net from fully 25 yards out. After scoring such a great goal, Corrigan fancied his chances a moment or two later but this time drove over the bar. Another handball arrived when Beattie clearly played the ball but this was ignored. With 20 minutes to go, the Fir Parkers deservedly drew level. Clarkson got the better of Balde who rashly pushed the striker to the ground inside the box. Penalty, but no booking. Riche Foran confidently dispatched it beyond Marshall and Motherwell were on equal terms.  

Still Motherwell tried to attack, with O'Donnell slicing his shot over from Corrigan's forward pass. A Thompson pass then was sent over by Hartson, but just as Motherwell looked likelier to go ahead, the visitors instead regained the advantage. McNamara went on a run which should have been halted, but instead he was able to find Beattie who beat Marshall. A further visiting change had McGeady replaced by Wallace. Two quick, and rather soft, free kicks to the visitors broke up play and from the second Petrov drove into the wall then sent his follow-up wide. Motherwell pressed but could make nothing of successive corners. Martyn Corrigan became a late booking; his first mis-timed challenge deemed a yellow by Referee McDonald. From that free kick Hartson had a header well dealt with by Marshall. Balde and then Valgaeren went right through with tackles on Foran and Clarkson but these were ignored, and their team left will all three rather fortuitous points. 

Full Time     Motherwell  2     Celtic  3

Match Report by Ricky Mullen